About Me

My photo
Melrose, MA, United States
Hi there, and thanks for visiting my Blog! How did I get started? Well, when I was pretty young, my mom taught me all the basics of sewing. It seemed to come natural to me, and by the time I was in middle school, I began to make lots of my own clothes. I did some sewing for people I knew, (including my mom!)and then bought my first sewing machine in 1986 when I decided that I would make my own wedding gown! I live in Melrose, MA with my husband and our 3 boys. When expecting our first, I started to make dolls, just in case I had a girl. I continued making and selling them as they were fun to make and customize for a special girl. I work out of my home and have had the great experience of making gowns, home fashions, dolls and doing many alterations over the years. My work has been largely word of mouth, with very little advertising. I think you will find my work unique and would like to create something special just for you!

Sunday, September 9, 2018

A gown all her own


In my years of doing bridal alterations, I have taken in, let out, added/removed a belt/sash, added/removed straps, added/removed tulle and bustled, bustled, bustled!!!

Earlier this year (March 2018) I received my most unusual request. To add color ,and in doing so, also redesigning the style, of her wedding gown!

Interesting, I thought. "what color?", I asked....."lime green", she responded....oh my! I thought...
Then the bride sent me photos of her in the gown with some scribbles drawn on to where she would like the color added, and of gowns where she saw green added. Those photos were more of the style that she liked, the green was not the right shade for her.

Ok, this made sense. When she first came to me, she had on a lime green fitbit, a lime green phone case, and her dress had white, black and of course, lime green in it. It was obvious that it was her favorite color, and looks great with her dark skin.

I was intrigued. I LOVE a challenge, especially given enough time to bring it to fruition. Her wedding is September 9, 2018 - the date I decided to write this blog.

Story behind the gown - bride had been previously engaged and bought a beautiful lace gown for her wedding. The engagement was broken off, but she kept her gown. Fast forward...engaged to be married in 2018, she wanted to use that gown, but because it is for her new love, she wanted to make it special, redesign it. She had seen photos of wedding gowns with color added, and decided to search for someone that would be able to do that for her. She found me.

Timeline:
March 11, 2018 Alexa came to my house to discuss her design ideas.
April 12, 2018 I received some fabric samples from her, and a deposit in the mail
May 12, 2018 She brought her gown to me
June 1, 2018 I was able to order tulle in the color she wanted (to match bridesmaids) from Azazie!
July 30, 2018 First fitting - decided to add another layer of the green to the train to enhance the color, placed the bustles and the band at the bustline, ruffled the lace/satin layer in front and back (forgot her shoes!)
August 11, 2018 Fitting with her shoes - adjusted placement of the side ruffles - brought orange tulle with her - wanted just a small amount added at center of "flower" at top of ruffles, pinned green tulle to train so it stays nicely in place, Length was perfect with her shoes.
August 26, 2018 Gown was picked up!!!!!


One layer of Tulle added - gathered at top to avoid having a seam


Bustled!!!





Front of gown she liked
Original gown - back
Back - newly styled and color added!
See how it matches her inspiration on the left!
Her inspiration






Ruffled side - bustled

Ruffled side and train




No comments: