About Me

My photo
Melrose, MA, United States
Hi there, and thanks for visiting my Blog! How did I get started? Well, when I was pretty young, my mom taught me all the basics of sewing. It seemed to come natural to me, and by the time I was in middle school, I began to make lots of my own clothes. I did some sewing for people I knew, (including my mom!)and then bought my first sewing machine in 1986 when I decided that I would make my own wedding gown! I live in Melrose, MA with my husband and our 3 boys. When expecting our first, I started to make dolls, just in case I had a girl. I continued making and selling them as they were fun to make and customize for a special girl. I work out of my home and have had the great experience of making gowns, home fashions, dolls and doing many alterations over the years. My work has been largely word of mouth, with very little advertising. I think you will find my work unique and would like to create something special just for you!

Monday, December 14, 2015

Sweet memories...

I was recently asked, by a friend, if I would make a T shirt blanket for her son. I have never done anything like this before, and don't consider myself "crafty", but said "yes". She's a good friend and has been through many changes in her life this year. I wanted to do something special for her.

The blanket is for her son who went off to college this year. We met, and she gave me a blanket of her son's to use as the backing, and 2 bags of T shirts!I went home and pondered...what have I gotten myself into!  This was to be a blanket of memories, not only for her son, but for her as well, and I decided to continue onward with the project....

When the time was right, I began. I sorted through the T shirts, sizing from toddler through adult (he's 18 years old now). How do I do this? How do I get started? I looked up online "T shirt blankets" and had an idea of how they are made. Squares, all the same size, kind of boring actually! And I thought of my friend...and how I know she is, and boring is not in her vocabulary! I was faced with a project involving different sized shirts, and lots of memories....I took a picture of all the shirts...then the creative process took over.

Let me mention that I  have a dog. Let me mention that she has two dogs.

My dog was by my side during the entire construction of this blanket. In fact, I caught her resting her head and paws on it. She knew it was special; for someone special....

When I delivered it, at first one of her dogs didn't take to me very well, didn't even come near me, was very protective of the home....until i presented her "mom" with the blanket. Both of her dogs immediately snuggled into it....I couldn't get over it! They could smell "their boy"who they have missed while away at school....then the dog that barked at me, came over to me, and gave me kisses, and let me pet her...that was really something special to me. She knew I created something for someone she loves...

Finished blanket!
Showing the backing of the blanket with the finished blanket
I folded over the blanket, to finish the edges







No comments: