About Me

My photo
Melrose, MA, United States
Hi there, and thanks for visiting my Blog! How did I get started? Well, when I was pretty young, my mom taught me all the basics of sewing. It seemed to come natural to me, and by the time I was in middle school, I began to make lots of my own clothes. I did some sewing for people I knew, (including my mom!)and then bought my first sewing machine in 1986 when I decided that I would make my own wedding gown! I live in Melrose, MA with my husband and our 3 boys. When expecting our first, I started to make dolls, just in case I had a girl. I continued making and selling them as they were fun to make and customize for a special girl. I work out of my home and have had the great experience of making gowns, home fashions, dolls and doing many alterations over the years. My work has been largely word of mouth, with very little advertising. I think you will find my work unique and would like to create something special just for you!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Red Carpet request

I was pleasantly surprised today when I got an email request to make a prom gown. Date: May 18th. I looked at our high school calendar, and our Junior prom is that date, so I assumed it was a Melrose girl contacting me. Of course I thought of all the work I would be getting as a result of this, not only for this year's junior prom, but next year's senior prom! We exchanged several emails about price, style, and she sent me a picture. It was a picture of Kelly Osborne on the Red Carpet in an Amazing Mermaid style black gown, with lots of layers at the bottom .Absolutely stunning. I was very excited about this request! I did tell her I would have to price it as a bridesmaid dress (about $200 higher than a prom gown) because of the detailed style, and she still wanted to proceed (of course, the entire time I'm wondering if she had consulted her mother at all!). On that last email I sent her a link to my webpage which lists my prices......then she sent me an email saying she just realized that I am located in MA....and she is in Texas! Oh my, that presents a problem. I emailed her back with some suggestions on how we could work this out, but am skeptical because I would not be able to do a final fitting on her and I would hate for her to have to receive the dress in the mail, only to have someone else do the final fitting. I don't think we will proceed, but it sure was exciting negotiating and possibly getting to work on such an elaborate prom gown!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You can make a prom dress! Im going to speak to Christina!
Annmarie

Tamara Kenney said...

Yes! And this one would have been quite the dress if I had been able to pursue it. The burgundy lace dress I used on my profile before, was a junior prom dress. I usually get lots of orders for alterations on prom gowns, and occasionally I get to put my personal touch into making one.

Tamara Kenney said...

And the wedding gown on my profile now, is a mermaid style, with a train added.